February 05, 2006

Sunday's thoughts

It's taken me over 20 minutes to start writing this post, and I don't even know why. I'll start with a few prayer requests. Pray for me. I need God's hand in my schoolwork right now. I have an Old Testament quiz and a Western Civ test tommorrow. I'm trying, but not hard enough, and I have a goal of making a 4.0 this semester, which is somewhat unrealistic and even if I don't accomplish that, I should still have better grades then last semester. Pray for my new job to be a blessing for me. Above all, pray for God's plan to take place in my life. It's so hard for me to hand things over to God. Pray for me to continue to mature more as a man of God.

Music is a big part of my life. Just listening to it though. If you've ever sat next to me in a worship setting or pretty much heard me sing then you know that it's just not good...at all. But I listen to a lot of music these days, and the music that I listen to effects my thoughts and my overall attitude more than I ever thought. I know it's been said before, but there are so many different situations where music has changed the way I look at things. Here are just some random examples. Whenever I listen to Back to Bedlam by James Blunt my mind goes back to Christmas break, because I listened to it the whole time. It's kind of a cold, but hearthy feeling. I want to say I feel at home when I hear it, but I don't know (sorry I bet that didn't make any sense). Hot Fuss by the Killers takes me back to my trip to Tulsa for the State basketball tournament last year. We listened to it probably 4 times through the whole weekend, and it was just a great trip and it brings back great memories of my friends from Oklahoma.

Another thought about music for me is I've been paying a lot more attention to the lyrics of songs. I'm always down for a great sounding song, but I'm getting into the deeper songs a lot more. I have this neat little widget on my computer that displays the lyrics of the song playing in my iTunes, so whenever I pull up Dashboard I can check out the lyrics, it's just made my musical experience even more enhanced.

That's all for now I guess

...Hodges

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben Woods said...

Hey man, I had a blast hanging out with everybody tonight. I think it was a success. I just read your post and I have been feeling the same way about music lately. thought I'd let you know that I'll be praying for you man. I'll catch you later.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muic can have an overwhelming effest on us at times. I know what you mean about listening to the lyrics and everything, but sometimes I just like to get some classical music and let my mind wander off as I interpret what the music is trying to tell me. Maybe that's why I like Explosions so much.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're now acknowledging that there are good tracks out there that doesn't have to sound like every Postal Service song.

I did an album review on this dude named Rocky Votolato called "Makers." As soon as it is up on the otrip website, I'll link your ace to it and and I'll probably hook you up with the actual CD whenever I get the chance.

He's got so much more substance than Damien Rice. I mean, I know you, me and all of our friends go ga-ga over Damien Rice (and for the right reasons) but this Rocky Votolato guy...his songwriting, at his age, is so much more advanced than most of the field, it's almost embarassing.

D-Rice has a lot of style, though simplistic, and the light background vocals from the female singer in the songs sound nice. You MIGHT like Rocky, I don't know. You might end up hating him with a passion too, but you might like him.

But anyway, it's comforting to know now that I won't feel intimidated when I place a slow, lyric-driven song in one of my CDs with obscure names (Forget It, Duracell Ultra, Ultimate Prom, seriously WTF?!) because each time Norah Jones (whom you might still hate) or Keef Urban pops up and slows the CD down, there's always that eery tension. "Eric, why the eff is a norah jones song playing when it should be The Killers or DC4C?" is what I always thought you were gonna say.

Eh.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home