February 16, 2006

Another edition of random thoughts

Huge load of stress is finally off my back. Today my group did our presentation on the beverage industry in Macroeconomics. I've been stressing for the past week about this. We had a 25-page paper and a 25-minute presentation due on the same day, so I would think it's understandable to be stressed. Plus, I made the whole PowerPoint, and everyone would be seeing that so I was really worried. But I think we did good as a group. Mr. Hebert said that we had really good information and we worked well as a group. Sounds generic, but after I heard his critique of another group, I'd say we did pretty good. So today instead of working on school work, I took a 3.5 hour nap and inadvertantly skipped church and dinner.

During all of this time of working on the presentation, I've able to listen to a lot of music to get in the working. I want to share with you a few of my favorite selections at the current time.

"Landed"-Ben Folds-I love the piano in the song, and the chorus is really catchy. For some reason I can just lock it down and focus when I hear this song.
"Look After You"-The Fray-Good ballad that is constantly stuck in my head. When I first heard this song, I breezed right past it and honestly could care less for it. Now I'm listening to it all the time, or humming "Oh, oh, please, baby, I'll look after you."
The Earth Is Not A Cold, Dead Place-Explosions in the Sky-I love this whole CD. I put it on when I go to bed every night. I have to thank James Arbuckle for introducing me to this unique band. The CD is only 5 tracks long, but the shortest song is 8:17 minutes long. There are no lyrics in the album either, but I think words would cheapen the soothing music that is produced.
"Can't Stop Now"-Keane-Great, upbeat song. When I saw Keane in Nashville, this is the song they opened with. It was a really cool effect they had, with the drums hitting to open up the show with a bang. I think this song would great to start an encore. I can picture everyone at a packed venue chanting "Keane", and having the whole place pitch black. The 3 guys slip back on stage without anyone noticing, then letting the drums hit, and the lights flash back on. And the lyrics "But I can't stop now...can't slow down," sets up the song perfectly.
"The Minstrel's Prayer"-Cartel-Unfortunately, they didn't play this song live when they were here in Searcy. But it's just a great song. I'm trying to put it all together, but I love the chorus. I know I've said that about almost every song, but whenever me or Austin plays this in the room, the whole room sings in unison, it's pretty sweet.
"Don't Slow Down"-Copeland-Before I saw Copeland in concert, I didn't really like this song. But this song was really cool live, and I love the line "You could take everything I have, just don't leave my side."
"The Scientist"-Coldplay-Just about everyone has heard this song, and just about everyone loves it. I've never been a huge fan of this song. I think I was just too impatient with it. It's definetly best listened to with headphones on and turned up, so all you can focus on is the song. Great lyrics, great piano, one of the best songs of the modern era.

I think I'm done with the music review thing. I'm not sure why I did that, I was just feeling the flow.

Ben Woods made a great statement when he said "I think we should call us the 125 Mafia." (referring to the crew that is constantly in Armstrong 125)

...Hodges

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your love/hate relationship with music is astonishing.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home