March 08, 2006

Late Night Contemplations

Well I'm up contemplating life tonight. Hopefully I can string together some random thoughts.

I can't remember my dreams anymore. I honestly can tell you what my last dream was. It's kind of frustrating, because I'm sure I have some crazy thoughts going through my head right before I go to bed. And I just always hear people telling stories about how funny their dreams were the last night and stuff, and I wish I had something cool to say with them. I'm not sure not remembering your dreams is some sign that you're getting a good sleep, but I want to have a little adventure in my life.

Having a roommate is a very healthy thing in my mind. Having a roommate you are good friends with is even better. Last semester, me and my roommate never talked. I mean, never. He would always be on the phone with his girlfriend back home and I would always have my earbuds in listening to music. Plus, we just didn't connect. We had some of the same interests, but it was still just awkward to talk to him. It didn't help that I didn't have as many friends in Harbin as I know do in Armstrong. But now I have a great roommate. We trust each other, and we tell each other nearly everything (at least I do....). But it's been really nice to chat just for a few minutes before I go to bed each night. And just thinking about more, I think God wants us to share a room with someone. Sorry, this probably won't make sense, but it's making sense in my head. In marriage, partners share a bed each night. There's a scripture that says "Don't let the sun go down on your anger." It will probably be hard to lay in bed next to someone if you're holding a grudge against them. It's kind of the same with a roommate. If you're mad at your roommate then it's probably gonna be hard to share a room with him.

I hate stereotypes. Every kind of stereotype. I will admit that I do stereotype people sometimes. I hate doing it, and I try my best to avoid it. It's inevitable that people are going to stereotype, but I just wish it didn't happen at all. Ever since pledge week the atmosphere of Harding has changed. I remember first semester when we had a group of people meet in the student center every day after chapel. It was just understood. Meet at this table, and we'll fellowship for a few minutes before class. Then pledge week happened and the table was split. Some people stand in a certain area and others stay with their group. If you go to Harding you know how the student center is sort of sectioned off by clubs. It's just frustrating because I question what changed that now some people can't talk to another group of people. Who decides that someone can't hang out with TNT guys or some girl can't talk to a girl in Regina. I know I've already wrote about this, but it's something that I see everyday. There are some times when I wish I didn't do a club. Times when I feel like people are talking behind my back, questioning the people that I'm spending time with, what club I'm spending my time with. And making fun of clubs, that's ridiculous. The way I look at it is this: every person that joined a club put a lot of time and effort into it, so don't bash it. It's like if you spent 3 weeks non-stop writing a book, and then you come and ask me to read it, and I just blow it off because it's not my style of book. Being in a club is something each person should be proud of, and you don't have to earn that pride by downing another club. All you have to do to be proud of the club you're in is to enjoy it. Just love the people in it and enjoy the time spent at functions and meetings. Another thing about me wishing I didn't join a club is that I'm glad I did join a club because it gave me the oppurtunity to meet some amazing people. There are so many people that I absolutely love spending time with that I probably would have never met if I didn't do the social club process or Knights. I just realized that this paragraph that I meant to set aside to talk about stereotypes ended up only talking about clubs, but I think I'm alright with that.

I think that's all I have to this evening. Have a blessed day...

...Hodges

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of what you said about not joining a club is why I am very strongly considering not doing one next year. Come talk to me about it sometime.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home